- Steep terrain with long runs and lots of moguls - a real expert's playground
- Plenty on offer for intermediate skiers and snowboarders
- Endless activities and vibrant nightlife in town of Aspen just next to the base
- Family-friendly resort
- Lift ticket also covers Aspen Highlands, Snowmass and Buttermilk
- Terrain not suitable for beginners; try nearby Snowmass or Buttermilk instead!
- Limited groomed runs
- No terrain parks, but there are natural features around
- Can be a pricey ski vacation
Aspen Mountain or “Ajax”, first opened in 1946, and is the flagship venture of the Aspen Skiing Company which has now expanded into a complex of four ski areas. Aspen is collectively known as a “skier’s mountain” as the terrain primarily appeals to intermediates with nearly half the runs rated blue and the remainder to be carved up by advanced and extreme skiers. If it’s your first time skiing, best to head down to its sister resorts Snowmass and Buttermilkacross town.
Aspen Pitkin County Airport
DRIVE/ SHUTTLE TO
Aspen Mountain (10 minutes)
- Wide variety of lodging, dining and nightlife options
- Reputation for expensive accommodation
- Reasonably priced yet less convenient lodging further from slopes
Snowmass Village (5-10 mi)
- Great for skiing at Snowmass and other mountains
- Larger rental homes and condos than Aspen
- Kids programs at the Treehouse Kids Adventure Center
There's no beginner terrain at Aspen Mountain so it's best to check out Buttermilk or Snowmass instead!More beginners tips
Intermediate's will have plenty to ride here! Our picks for intermediates would have to be Dipsy Doodle under the Ajax Express lift and Ruthie's Run beneath Ruthie's lift where you can dip in and out of other runs through the trees.More intermediates tips
Aspen Mountain is truly an expert's playground! Check out our favorite here Traynor's Ridge - the terrain is steep with large rocks and cliffs to launch off while you weave between the trees!More experts tips
Ride between the trees from the end of Bear Paw to Rayburns above Spar Gulch. Unofficially known as the Cone Dumps, this is where unlimited face shots await!
Ditch the crowds
The Ajax Express lift is one of the busiest lifts, giving access to the upper mountain and two on-mountain restaurants. Avoid it during lunchtime or take the Silver Queen Gondola for other awesome terrain.
Non-skiers will be smothered with the endless activities here. The town of Aspen is notoriously known for its vibrant nightlife so you know where non-skiers will be at night. During the day non-skiers can do everything from yoga classes to nordic skiing.
Families with intermediate skiers should do laps off Silver Queen Gondola where you'll find long and steep blue runs! The resort itself is also known for its family-friendliness and the town of Aspen is conveniently located at the foot of the mountain with a wide range of dining and lodging options.
|Aspen Mountain||Aspen Highlands|
|intermediate||48 %||23 %|
|advanced||26 %||12 %|
|expert||26 %||65 %|
|child lift ticket||Free||Free|
|adult lift ticket||$155||$155|
|value for money|
|average total snowfall||199″||200″|